Cleaning your gutters is one of the most important home maintenance tasks you can do to keep your house safe and to minimize any future home repairs. Many people are a bit nervous to do any roof cleaning or roofing repairs on their own — and it’s definitely a good idea to contact a home repair service if you have a really big project on hand — but a small task like gutter cleaning isn’t too hard to do on your own.
If you aren’t sure where to start, here are just a few tips on gutter cleaning:
- It’s usually recommended to clean your gutters at least once a year, although you may find that it’s necessary to clean them more often if your house is surrounded by trees and other foliage. Many homeowners clean their gutters toward the end of autumn after most of the leaves have fallen.
- Make sure to have a steady ladder and the necessary tools before you begin. Investing in a good ladder will keep your gutters from getting damaged. As far as tools go, it’s good to have a plastic scoop, a plastic tarp or plastic bucket, and a garden hose with running water.
- The first step is to scoop out all the big debris in the gutter. This might get a bit messy because the debris will likely contain dirt, sand, leaves, and twigs that all mixed up in rain water.
- Don’t be surprised if you find a small tree starting to sprout in there! The gutters are actually a perfect place for seeds to sprout because they often get direct sunlight, plenty of warm air and oxygen, and the decomposing organic material leaves behind a lot of nutrients.
- Many people throw the debris onto a tarp laid out on the ground below, or just in a bucket nearby, before tossing it out. It’s important that you don’t leave the debris lying around where a person or pet could get into it, since there’s likely mold and other bacteria growing under damp leaves which could be harmful if ingested.
- Finally, using your garden hose, spray clean water through the gutters to make sure that nothing is left. This is also a good way to check for any leaks in the gutters and to figure out if your drain pipes are clogged up and need to be cleaned by a professional gutter cleaning service.
It may seem like a lengthy project, but cleaning your gutters is actually pretty simple — and it will save you a lot of money in the long run! Read more blogs like this.