Installing flooring in your new home is one of the most important decisions you will make, and there are several things you should consider when you’re considering your options. You should think about the resale value of what you install — some types of hardwood floors can actually increase the value of your home, while others, like certain types of linoleum, won’t have much of a resale value. Also think about what room you’re installing the carpet in and how much use it will get. Do you need durable flooring that will stand up to lots of foot traffic without getting dirty, or maybe new carpeting is an acceptable option if you’re not going to be using the room a lot.
The first place to start is by looking at all the different types of flooring. It’s also important to think about your budget and consider new carpet installation cost. Will the flooring you choose need lots of extra care or is it relatively low maintenance? These are all things to discuss with a professional flooring installation expert. Before you meet with anyone or go to a store to check out the different options, here are some tips if you’re trying to decide between hardwood flooring and new carpeting.
Pros of hardwood flooring
- Easy to clean. With simple soap and water, and you can make it shiny by using some special hardwood floor cleaner.
- Resistant to most stains. This doesn’t include everything, but if you have some mud stains from the kids entering the house with their shoes on, it will be easy to remove the mess quickly and without much effort.
- Eco-friendly. Some of the most environmentally friendly options are reclaimed wood flooring like wood and bamboo. You can feel good about using green building materials if you go with hardwood flooring. According to United States Green Building Council’s LEED program, bamboo flooring is a great option because it’s a rapidly renewable resource.
Wood is an inherently long-lasting material, so you won’t have to worry about replacing the hardwood flooring in your home anytime soon. You can plan for it to last at least as long as you live in your house, and probably beyond that.
Pros of new carpeting
- Great for kids. Although it’s not as easy to clean as hardwood floors, carpeting is a great option if you have young children. Kids are prone to falling and getting hurt on hard surfaces, so carpeting can be a safer option if you have lots of little ones running around.
- Comes in lots of colors. There are seemingly endless colors and styles to choose from when you’re considering getting new carpeting, so you will be sure to find something that is a perfect match for your home’s decorating scheme. You can also choose from extra plush designs that are very comfortable to walk on, or choose more basic designs if you’re simply trying to add carpeting to an entryway or garage.
- Easier to install. Carpeting can usually be installed in just one weekend and doesn’t require changing to existing structure of your home. Hardwood flooring on the other hand can require lots of time to take up the old floors and install the new ones. If you’re looking for a quick solution and want to get new floors in your home as soon as possible, new carpeting is the perfect option.