Why Radon Testing Is Crucial For Your Home
Because it’s a colorless and tasteless gas, radon can only be detected through radon testing. This radioactive gas that is released from the earth’s crust can potentially cause lung cancer if you breathe it in and if inhaled over a long period of time. In fact, radon gas attributes to around 20,000 cases of lung cancer each year.
If you want to ensure the safety of your family, local radon testing is an essential tool to measure the level of this hazardous gas in your home. It’s highly recommended for homes in high radon potential areas, so it’s crucial for you to know how to detect radon, where it comes from, and what you can do about it because it can cause severe health problems for you and your family.
What Is Radon and Where Does It Come From?
This radioactive gas is found beneath the earth’s surface and naturally occurs and forms when uranium in soil or rock breaks down. It’s released from the ground into the air through the use of water, and as it rises to the earth’s surface, it can seep into any home through the cracks in the wall and the foundation.
Once it gets trapped inside buildings, it mixes with fresh air and disperses. People who stay inside buildings and homes most of the time are at a higher risk of inhaling this harmful gas.
With around one in 15 U.S. homes estimated to have high radon levels at or above the EPA action level, if you’re exposed to radon for a long time, there’s a chance you can contract lung cancer. This is alarming, especially since a lot of people are not aware of this silent killer.
Radon can be found in all 50 states, Canada, and many European countries. While it derives from the breakdown of uranium in soil and rock, it doesn’t just come from the ground. It can also be present in rocks, water, and even building materials., as well as from the water in your home if it has high levels of radium.
As water passes through the soil, it absorbs uranium and other elements, releasing radon into the air. As this water evaporates, it leaves behind radon and other radioactive elements. This is why well water is more likely to contain high levels of radon.
What Are the Symptoms of Radon Exposure?
Even with low levels of radon exposure, you can experience some unpleasant symptoms due to this deadly gas. The most common signs are as follows:
- Shortness of breath or breathlessness
- Coughing and wheezing
- Muscle pain and stiffness
- Discomfort in the chest area
- Sore throat
- Breathing problems
- Digestive problems
When a person gets exposed to high radon levels, it can result in more severe symptoms that can be life-threatening. These symptoms include:
- Severe shortness of breath
- Frequent nosebleeds
- Memory loss
- Difficulty breathing
- Chest pain
- Respiratory and gastrointestinal problems
- Irregular heartbeat
- Coughing up blood
How Can Radon Be Prevented?
You can’t really avoid radon exposure, especially if you live in a high radon potential zone. However, you can take the following steps to make sure your home is safe from this hazardous gas and reduce your family’s risk of exposure:
- Have your home radon levels checked regularly
- Fix any leaks in your home
- Keep the basement and crawl spaces well ventilated
- Install radon mitigation and abatement system
- Repair any cracks in your home’s foundation
- Don’t do any heavy work in your basement during the winter
Radon testing by using a kit is a simple and easy way to detect the presence and levels of the gas in your home. It’s a bit more practical than drilling holes in your home, and it’s also a lot safer. Have your home tested for radon before the winter season begins, so you can start fixing any leaks or cracks.
Test Your Home for Radon Today
Although radon can’t really be avoided, you can take steps to make sure your home isn’t a threat to your family’s health. You can get help from the experts when you have your home tested for radon, so you can determine whether or not it’s present in your home.
Many Denver radon testing experts and those in other cities can help you determine if your home is safe for your family to live in. Don’t wait until it’s too late. Act immediately to protect your family from this hazardous gas.